March 17, 2010

Whiny Post Day: Flying Mounts

So apparently it's whiny post day, which presents me with a problem. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a proper whiner back in the days, but I got over it. Klepsacovic is like three years late... But whatever, I have flying mounts to bash.

Flying mounts are just like ordinary mounts, apart from the fact they, well, can fly, which is rather practical. Or impractical depending on what you want. If you want to be from point A to point B a flying mount is great. Just fly up high enough, point your nose in the general direction of point B, hit autorun and go AFK to make a cup of tea or something. When you're back you've likely overshot your goal by about half the map.

Land mounts are different in that regard. Usually you have to go via point C and maybe even point D and E to get to point B, and you can't go AFK or Bad Things may or may not happen. At least you get to see the world, which is a major plus the first dozen times or so.

That's my major gripe with flying mounts to be honest, they make the world seem so damn insignificant. You're not interacting with the world at all, just zipping past it. This is especially true for the epic flying mounts, which are zooming around at supersonic speeds. Again the question arises, is this World of Warcraft or Game of Warcraft?

The "old" world seems so much more alive to me for the simple fact I can't just bypass it by flying over it. But that will change come Cataclysm, when flying mounts are unlocked in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms as well. Now that will be a real paradigm shift indeed, seeing people floating around over Orgrimmar will take a while to get used to. Cataclysm will not only revamp the zones, but also what's above them. Newbies will get high level players on flying mounts pushed right into their faces, which depending on each particular newbie, can end up with either going at levelling much harder to get a flyer for their own or simply just quitting.

Don't get me wrong though, flying mounts have their uses and I doubt I will put my money where my mouth is and, you know, stick to my land mount, but I will do it screaming and flailing and making a general ruckus. Because I believe that flying mounts cheapen the world. My last hope is that Blizzard will make more areas like Storm Peaks, that are designed for travel by air.

No comments:

Post a Comment