February 03, 2010

Rotface Again

The Lich King is now killable and has already been slain. It will be interesting to see when I get to do it... At the moment my guild seems rather stuck on Rotface, and the whole ordeal is beginning to feel more and more like how things were on Lady Vashj for us back in TBC. We never killed her as a guild.

This time might be different though, even if it goes as far as guild implosion. What has changed? The game has, or rather the 10/25 player philosophy. Back in TBC there was only one size per raid. If you wanted to do SSC you needed 25 players, nowadays you can do every raid with only 10 people. And here is my point: my guild has a stable core big enough to do 10 player raids on a regular basis, but we are for some reason recruiting for a second 10 player team. Don't ask me why. The way I see this is that if my guild should implode over Rotface we will still be back to our core, able to continue.

Why do I believe this? Due to my guild's history. Every single time we grew big enough to do 25 player raids some drama happened that made the guild fall apart. And every time the guild fell apart the core stayed behind, trudging on. This has been true ever since I joined back in TBC, and has stayed true in WotLK. Some people in the guild see it the same way and have come to the same conclusion: stick to 10 player raids, which we have. Yet there is always someone who wants to pull together some kind of guild alliance to do 25 player raids. Our recruitment officer is also taking in everybody who can fill out a form. He is also one of the people who want 25 player raids. 2 + 2?

I have many theories as to why the guild keeps growing and shrinking like this, but I don't want to slag my guildies off, as they are great people with a drive to progress. And our core has been dang stable over the two and a half years I've been with them as well. So I wonder why some of the members of my guild want 25 player raids. We don't need the gear from the larger raid size to progress in the 10 player version. My suspicion is greed pretty much. Sure, I wouldn't mind even more inflated stats, but I also know that our guild simply isn't capable of running 25 player raids for various reasons, and I put my sanity above loot.

So yeah, this time we won't stop raiding just because we hit a brick wall. I stay because I like the people, and the ability to run all raids in 10 player mode keeps me from having to make the hard decision I faced in TBC; whether to join a "better" guild or to stay. As a matter of fact I chose the first option, but came back pretty quickly. 2 + 2 again.

The 10/25 player distinction is in my opinion the single best thing Blizzard added in WotLK. I should make a list of stuff I liked and not liked some time (yay lists!), but that's for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment